-
March 9th, 2003, 01:49 AM
#1
Inactive Member
OK...so now I find out Jim, Steve, and Todd, plus maybe others are behind this Iconic line which will have modern versions of older cabinets. Then Steve Burger mentions an Iconic 18" version of the 3182, and also a 12" coaxial courtesy of Bill and Bill. What gives??? My curiosity is well aroused!
I am very happy these quality individuals are behind this undertaking. I just wish I knew more about it. Please let us know when and what products you will have available...web site etc...what took you guys so long??
Best wishes
Roland
<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ March 16, 2003 02:56 PM: Message edited by: Todd W. White ]</font>
<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ March 16, 2003 03:02 PM: Message edited by: Todd W. White ]</font>
-
March 9th, 2003, 08:58 AM
#2
Inactive Member
More will be revealed! and very soon! Web site should be up in about a week or so. You can contact anyone of us for more details until then.
-
March 10th, 2003, 06:18 PM
#3
Inactive Member
Roland,
We have been working on this for about a year now - it takes a while to get all the details worked out.
Let me make one point very clear: The name ALTEC Lansing is owned by ALTEC Lansing Technologies, and while they may be marketing some products that are similar to ours, we make no claim to being Altec. Their marketing focus is to the installed Sound Contractor market, while ours is initially to the Hi-Fi enthusiasts who desire these products. The old ALTEC CORPORATION last addressed this market in 1983.
All of the people involved in ICONIC were upset when the old ALTEC Lansing ceased to exist, this is perhaps our way of bringing some of the old magic back. We intend to not only make older products available, but to also build on the wonderful foundation we have been given and bring out new innovative products to ensure their place in the future of audio.
We wish Dave Merrey, John Sexton, Gary Jones, Duke Ducoff, Steve Upchurch, and everyone else involved with ALTEC Pro the best of luck with their endevours.
Thank you all very much for making this opportunity possible.
- Jim
<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ March 10, 2003 02:36 PM: Message edited by: Todd W. White ]</font>
<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ March 10, 2003 02:38 PM: Message edited by: Todd W. White ]</font>
-
March 13th, 2003, 05:03 AM
#4
Inactive Member
HI JIM,
...AND ANYONE ELSE INVOLVED IN THE ICONIC LINE OF SPEAKER SYSTEMS.
I OWN A PAIR OF MODEL 19'S AND I WOULD LIKE TO HAVE BOTH OF MY CROSSOVERS RE-WORKED. THE POTS FOR THE HF AND MF FREQ ARE SCRATCHY, AND I KNOW THAT THE CROSSOVERS AREN'T PERFORMING TO SPEC - I WAS WONDERING IF YOU GUYS COULD RE-BUILD THEM FOR ME, OR IF YOU WILL OFFER A LINE OF NEW ONES THAT ARE CROSSED OVER AT 1200 HZ LIKE THE ORIGINALS.
Answer by Todd W. White: Yes, Iconic will offer them, hopefully soon.
I AM ONLY 22 YRS OLD, AND WAS INTRODUCED TO THE MODEL 19'S WHEN I WAS ABOUT 5. MY UNCLE HAD A SET, THEN MY DAD BOUGHT THEM. I HAVE LOVED THEM SINCE A LITTLE KID. I FINALLY HAVE A PAIR OF MY OWN - BILL HANUSHACK RE-CONED MY 416'S AND PUT TWO NEW DIAPHRAGMS IN THE 802'S FOR ME.
THE SET I BOUGHT HAD BEEN ABUSED, AND THE ONLY PROBLEMS I HAVE NOW IS THE CROSSOVERS - THEY SOUND GOOD - BUT I KNOW THEY COULD BE BETTER.
I HAVE A .25 AMP QUICK BLOW FUSE IN LINE WITH THE HF DRIVERS B/C I WAS SCARED THAT THE CROSSOVERS WERE LEAKING SOME LF ENERGY,, AND I WAS RIGHT, BECUASE ONE SPEAKER WILL BLOW THE FUSE AT A CONSIDERABLY LOWER VOLUME THAN THE OTHER WILL. I WISH I WOULD HAVE REALIZED THIS BEFORE I BLEW BOTH OF MY ORIGINAL DIAGPHRAMS, (FOR NOW THE FUSES PROTECT MY NEW ONES, BUT I WOULD LIKE TO DO AWAY WITH THEM IF I COULD TRUST THE CROSSOVERS) AND AS FAR AS THE NEW DIAGPHRAGMS FROM BILL, THEY SEEM TO SOUND AS GOOD AS THE ORIGINALS, I KNOW HE DOES GREAT WORK.
ALSO - JUST WANTED TO SAY I AM VERY EXCITED ABOUT THE ICONIC LINE OF SPEAKERS - I CAN'T WAIT TO SEE THE WEB SITE.
ALSO - I REALLY LOVE THIS SITE AND HAVE BEEN VISITING FOR A WHILE - I USED TO POST ON THE OLD MESSAGE BOARD, BUT JUST SIGNED IN TO THIS ONE.
NOTE: The remainder of Brad's original post was about the Model 19. It contained lots of good questions, but none that are related to this topic. They have been removed and sent back to Brad, and are asking him to re-post them separately. - TWW
THANKS
BRAD
<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ March 13, 2003 01:41 AM: Message edited by: Todd W. White ]</font>
-
March 13th, 2003, 06:12 AM
#5
Inactive Member
Jim D is working on crossovers with input from Jerry Hubbard as well as Bill. The model 19 is one of the crossovers we are looking at. We will provide more info when it is available.
In terms of Altec Lansing Professional coming out with a line of vintage gear, I have heard some talk of that but can't really speak to that except to say that we wish them well.
I can say Iconic Manufacturing is committed to proucing the highest quality products possible. In addition to reintroducing certain classic speaker designs, we intend to be innovative and introduce some real improvements as well. When ALTEC started, it stood for ALL TECHNICAL, with the technicians driving the boat. From what I understand there came a time when that was no longer true. The nuts and bolts guys had little or no say in the direction of what had been the greatest company in audio. In our endeavor, the people who really have the love of the product, the nuts and bolts guys, are again in the driver's seat. We intend to introduce improvements in design such as those that progressive engineers at Altec Lansing in the later years tried to introduce but were prevented from doing so by the "suits" in management.
I personally settled on the ALTEC sound after owning, dealing, trading, and listening to literally hundreds of speakers. I met Jim Dickinson through a mutual friend several years ago who said "if you are into ALTEC you have to meet this guy!" We have since become very close friends, and this endeavor we have embarked on has been a challange as well as very gratifying.
In terms of my collection of vintage ALTEC speakers, I started to liquidate them several months back to make room as well as to be able to invest in our new enterprise. Some of it has been very difficult to do, but our project has given me the faith to "let go" of some of the vintage gear.
One of the main reasons that I could do that is thefact that the gear that Bill at GPA produces is every bit as good or better than the old stuff.
Another reason has been that it has been very frustrating to me to see some of the vintage cabinets disintegrate before my very eyes. The reality is that the taped veneer trim and some of the veneer over particle board used in the old cabinets explodes upon upon being touched. Also the glue used in the old days just does not hold up well over the years. The cabinets that our cabinet maker, David Florio, builds do not - and never will - have this problem. We do not use particle board, and all of the trim is edge-banded hardwood. These beautiful pieces of furniture are better than anything I have ever seen on the market! The sound is equally as good!
We are just getting started and are excited as well as a bit apprehensive about the challanges ahead! We value all of the support we get from the friends we have made through this website.
More will be revealed soon!
<font color="#FFFFFF" size="1">[ March 13, 2003 08:48 AM: Message edited by: Todd W. White ]</font>
-
March 14th, 2003, 03:07 AM
#6
Inactive Member
Steve, this is very good news about Iconic. I intend to support your efforts and let all of my friends here in Memphis Tn interested in quality speakers know of your existance. Will distribute info as it gets passed on....Phil
Posting Permissions
- You may not post new threads
- You may not post replies
- You may not post attachments
- You may not edit your posts
-
Forum Rules
This forum has been viewed: 28131802 times.
Bookmarks